our bare hearts
(c) rabbi menachem creditor
signs amidst baggage claims
hijabs and yarmulkes, megaphones and pizzas
lawmakers and preachers,
reflected in my overwhelmed eyes
my friends are everywhere
trying to put out
wildfires with their bare hearts
trying to counter
scattershot hatred with boundless love.
i lift up my eyes
to the mountains...
I beg You God, that angels surround
detained children, fractured families
my dehumanized cousins
alone, threatened by powerful ugliness
I beg You, God: tell me this isn't happening
that my world isn't being ravaged
by a new Pharoah and his magicians
I'm begging, God.
Tell me this isn't real.
if You can't tell me this,
tell me something else:
What must we do to make it better
before it's too late?
Yes, God, we hear You.
It's always been the same answer,
though our pain feels different this time.
We know (it's just so damn hard to remember)
that there's only one answer:
Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love.
Grant us more Holy Love.
Wake us from despair,
that we might see You
in each other's eyes
- our bare hearts
- We Are Here: Praying by Living
- Wondering what to do? Look within. Speak your own ...
- Next Steps
- Upon Ending my #InaugurationFast
- Empty Shuls this Shabbat: A Rabbinic Comment on th...
- Cry With Full Throat: Shuls Should be Empty This S...
- No Time for Neutrality #RaisingTorah
- #RaisingTorah Update!
- Rabbi Michael Rothbaum teaches Rabbi Isaac Klein, ...
- Now. Tomorrow. And the day after.
- Press Conferences and a Presidential Threat to Ame...
- CNS Men's Shelter Dinner Report
- When a Torah Falls
- ▼ January (15)
- ► 2016 (72)
- ► 2015 (91)
- ► 2014 (265)
- ► 2013 (508)
- ► 2012 (315)
- ► 2011 (317)
- ► 2010 (539)
- ► 2009 (321)
- ► 2008 (91)