#BringThemHomeNow

Jan 9, 2013

A comment on the JTA article: "$5 million budget hole is latest woe for Conservative synagogue group"

Rabbi Menachem Creditor

This isn't about any one person, nor a group of people. It is, I believe, about institutional resonance. Conservative Judaism is compelling, those who teach it's holy Torah are amazing, and Jews (and others) are thirsty for its approach to Torah and the World and meaning. The need for any one epoch's FORM, the temporal institutionalizing of an idea, is the question I continue to ask. We measure how important an institution is when those outside its structures support it through their actions. The answer to my question has, I believe, been clear for at least 30 years.

(For a related thought, I've written about this on the congregational level in this month's Sh'ma - http://www.shma.com/2013/01/wandering-toward-a-promised-land/)

Total Pageviews